Wednesday, April 13, 2011

About Me!



Welcome to My Living off the Grid. My name is John Dull the originator of this content.  The intent of this website is to provide the reader with information concerning ways to improve our health, wealth and/or relationships. I have a few ideas that may be of interest to you, and I encourage you to share your comments with us here.

From the blog title, a person may come to the conclusion that I am going to write about alternative energy or possibly how to live away from civilization. That is not my intent. I chose this title as a means of explaining my simple lifestyle and why I feel this concept will become important for us to consider adopting in some manner.

Some folks may appreciate knowing a bit more about me. So here goes, and I hope you won’t be too bored. I was born into a Midwestern farming family nearly sixty years ago. My parents rented a small farm that had a milking parlor in the barn, a chicken coop, corn crib, a garage, and of course a house. We grew grain crops, fruits and vegetables and also raised cows, pigs, and chickens.  We produced most of the food we ate, whether it was fresh, frozen or canned. We made trips to the grocery store, for items we could purchase for less money than what it would have cost us to have made them. Or it was for items that we could not make.  We also purchased most of our clothing, as well as our sundry type items.  Ours was a simple lifestyle.

I feel our lives then were better than most lives people live today.  I believe we had better tasting as well as healthier foods to eat. We lived and worked in a way that required us to interact with others in ways not practiced today. Yes, our new technologies have improved our lives on one hand, but on the other it appears to be making us less social, less desirous of face to face communication.  We know that our income and savings are not adequate to support us into our retirement years. Yet, we still expect to be able to drive our over sized vehicles to work and round about each day. We are living our lives in such a way as if we have endless resources at our disposal.

Through this blog, it is my hope to provoke useful thoughts and ideas about a simpler way of living that will bring benefits that can improve our health, help retain some of our hard earned money, and better enjoy our relationships with family, friends and neighbors. Thanks to you for spending your precious time to read what I have to say.  

  











                                             

No comments:

Post a Comment